Persons at high risk of death and illness from disease should not be in close contact with the ill person. These persons include pregnant women, children aged under two years, persons aged over 65 years, and persons with severe chronic diseases or who are immuno-compromised.
- Avoid other types of exposure to an ill person such as sharing toothbrushes, eating utensils, drinks and linens;
- Cleaning of the environment should include washing shared surfaces and clothes, bed linen and scarves that have been in contact with a patient’s respiratory secretions or stools;
- Water and soap should be used for washing, and afterwards hands should be washed thoroughly with soap and water.
GENERAL TIPS FOR CLEANING:
Areas Requiring Frequent Disinfection Include:
- Door knobs/window handles/buttons/switches
- Surfaces (e.g. tables, telephones, computer keyboards)
- Children’s toys
- Floors and Walls
- Eating utensils
- Water taps/shower heads, bathtubs and washbasins
- Toilet handles, seat and cover
Clean and Disinfect your Home at least Once a day:
- First remove all organic materials such as secretions (any bodily fluid), mucus, vomitus and faeces from surfaces.
- Cleaning Process for Non-absorbent Surfaces:
- ?? First clean with detergent and warm water
- ?? Then clean with a ratio of 1:10 dilution of bleach solution (3/4 cup bleach to one gallon of water) Leave for at least 10 minutes if possible then allow to air dry.
FLOORS AND FLOOR COVERINGS??????????????????
- Do not hang up and swat mats to clean as this will create aerosols.
- The bucket used for mopping should have a wringer attached.
- Mops should not be hand wrung to avoid generating aerosols.
- Mattresses and pillows should be fitted with plastic covers and should be wiped over as for surface cleaning.
- Use containers with close fitting lids or sealed bags to transport waste outside of the isolation area.
General Health Advice For All Family Members
Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing.
Wash your hands after coughing, sneezing or wiping your nose.
Wash your hands before touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
Do not share towels.
Do not share eating utensils-use serving spoons and cutlery.
Maintain good indoor ventilation
General Cleaning Principles: Precautionary Notes
Disinfectant should be applied using a damp cloth and the surface allowed to air dry.
They should not be applied using a spray pack, as coverage is uncertain.
Spraying may promote the production of aerosols. (Small airborne particles)
Ministry of Health-Barbados
Hotline: 436-2437 or 436-2444