La Soufrière Emergency Update (Barbados) – April 11, 2021. (PMO)

Residents across Barbados are again being assured that they will be kept updated on the evolving situation resulting from the eruption of the La Soufriere volcano in St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Minister of Home Affairs, Information and Public Affairs, Wilfred Abrahams, gave that assurance as he addressed a virtual La Soufriere Emergency update press conference this afternoon.

Noting that the situation was constantly evolving, the Minister said only on Saturday the country was concerned about “a little dust”, but instead it was presently “caked in dust”, with St. Lucy experiencing “night fall” in the middle of the day.

“This is continually happening. We have been reaching out to all of the scientists available to us, the Prime Minister and I touched base today with the Seismic Research Department from the University of West Indies, and spoke to their technical persons and their scientists there who will update you further.

“But this is a case where we are pretty much flying the airplane as we build it. We are learning on the ground of some things we did not know before; we have to deal with a situation that we cannot predict,” he said.

The Information Minister noted that he was aware of questions being posed through social media, the Barbados Government Information Service and other media partners.

“So far, we have been able to give you medical information from the Chief Medical Officer; veterinary information from the Veterinary Department; we have been able to advise you in relation to water, and Sabu Best [acting Director of the Barbados Meteorological Department] has done an excellent job for the Met Office in trying to notify Barbarians, at least 90 minutes ahead of the dust clouds coming in our direction,” Mr. Abrahams outlined.

He explained that these updates had so far helped people, in some measure, to prepare themselves. Today’s press conference addressed questions relating to light and water, the science of what was occurring and also featured Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley, who outlined a plan of action for the start of a national clean-up for tomorrow, Monday, April 12, and plans for work in the public and private sectors.

julia.rawlins-bentham@barbados.gov.bb

View the most recent Travel Protocols by

Pin It on Pinterest