The National Nutrition Centre has advised Barbadians to maintain their wellness goals this Christmas by making wise food choices as they celebrate the holiday season.
Here are a few nutrition tips:
- Use less added fats. These include butter, margarine, oil and mayonnaise.
- Flavour food with a variety of herbs, sodium/salt-free seasonings and natural spice blends. This reduces the amount of salt or sodium added during meal preparation.
- Prepare macaroni pie and similar type casseroles with less cheese, and substitute whole milk with low fat milk.
- Make favourite drinks with less added sugar, syrup or honey, and top up beverage glasses with ice before serving.
- Trim the skin and visible fat from meat and poultry before serving to offer leaner protein at meal times.
- Use smaller serving utensils and dinnerware to help control portion sizes at each meal.
- Fill half your plate with a variety of vegetables and the other half can be shared equally with protein and starchy foods.
- Freeze or refrigerate extra servings for future use to avoid overeating.
National Nutrition Centre & Ministry of Health and Wellness