The Ministry of Health and Wellness has advised that Rapid Antigen Testing for COVID-19 may be performed in specific circumstances and by providers sanctioned by the Ministry.
Rapid Antigen Testing for COVID-19 in Barbados may be performed under the following circumstances:
- For outbound passengers travelling to the United States of America and Europe;
- To assist with ending quarantine for persons who have been in quarantine between 10 and 13 days; and
- As an initial screening tool for symptomatic persons and primary contacts.
- The COVID-19 Rapid Test kits which are sanctioned by the Ministry of Health and Wellness include:
- Abbott Panbio COVID-19 Antigen Test
- Healgen Corona Virus Antigen Rapid Test (for outbound persons to the UK)
- Assut Antigen COMBO Rapid Test
- Sinopharm Rapid Antigen Test (for outbound travellers to the UK and USA)
- SD Bioscience Standard Q
For outbound passengers, the Healgen Coronavirus Antigen Rapid Test and the Sinopharm Rapid Test are currently accepted by the United Kingdom. While the United States of America accepts Rapid Antigen tests, Canada does not accept them.
Private providers must request permission from the Ministry of Health and Wellness to perform rapid testing by emailing the office of the Chief Medical Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further guidelines on the testing process will be shared with providers.
The use of rapid tests, which are not sanctioned by the Ministry of Health and Wellness, is discouraged. The Ministry also advises that rapid tests should only be used for the circumstances outlined above.