Here are some tips to help you maintain your nutrition goals during the holidays:
- Include a variety of nutritious foods in the daily diet and on the holiday menu.
- Offer more vegetable options, so that each person can fill half their plate with vegetables at mealtime.
- Use less salt in meal preparation. Flavour meat, fish and other food options with herbs and salt-free seasonings, to help control the amount of salt and sodium added to food.
- Add less fat and fatty foods like butter, oil, mayonnaise, and cheese when preparing dishes.
- Remember to trim the skin and visible fat from meat and poultry before it is served.
- Reduce sugar intake by adding less sugar or syrup when making beverages and desserts.
- Avoid overeating by storing extra food for later use.
These holiday nutrition tips are provided by the National Nutrition Centre, Ministry of Health and Wellness.