The Municipal Solid Waste Tax bills have been issued and those persons who have not yet received theirs should contact the Barbados Revenue Authority (BRA) at the Treasury Building, Bridge Street, Bridgetown.

That is the word from Director of Shared Services at the BRA, Wayne Forde, who said some people had already paid the first instalment of the tax, which is due by Monday, July 28.

Mr. Forde stated that property owners who have structures with an improved value on their land, were required to pay the solid waste tax, which has been calculated at a rate of 0.3 per cent of the site value.

He pointed out that bills may be paid at Weymouth Corporate Centre, Roebuck Street, St. Michael; the Treasury Building, Bridge Street, Bridgetown; Warrens Tower II, Warrens, St. Michael; Southern Plaza, Oistins, Christ Church; and Holetown Complex, Holetown, St. James.

???Persons may pay their bills by cash or cheque at the Barbados Revenue Authority???s cashier locations, while debit and credit cards will be accepted at Weymouth Corporate Centre, Holetown Complex and Southern Plaza,??? he indicated.

According to Mr. Forde, failure to pay the tax by the specified dates would result in a penalty of five per cent of the tax demanded and unpaid. In addition, interest at the rate of one per cent for each month on the penalty and the unpaid tax at the prescribed time, will be charged.

The tax was introduced this year to assist with the management of solid waste, that is, all garbage generated from residential households, apartment buildings, commercial and business establishments, institutional facilities, construction and demolition activities, municipal services and treatment plant sites.

Mr. Forde stressed that there was no provision for a discount for early payment of the tax or exemptions from paying it.

???The Municipal Solid Waste Tax Act 2014 does not make any provisions for exemptions from the payment of the tax. However, the Minister of Finance has the authority to remit or refund part or all of the tax on the grounds of undue hardship or for any other reason, as stated in Section 5 of the Act,??? he explained.

He noted that all objections to the value of a property must be made in writing to the Revenue Commissioner. ???You are still required to pay the tax although you have lodged an objection. It is advisable to pay the first instalment, and if your objection is successful, the adjustment will be made in the second instalment,??? he insisted.

Pin It on Pinterest