Minister of Social Care, Constituency Empowerment, Urban and Rural Development, Christopher Sinckler
This year???s National Senior Games, which are coming off on Saturday, April 18, are expected to be bigger and better.
That is the word from Minister of Social Care, Constituency Empowerment, Urban and Rural Development, Christopher Sinckler.
He said that there would be some modifications and additional events. ???Normally, we have track and field, which is the predominant mode that we have utilised over the last few years to bring our seniors into a process, as we say, not only of active ageing but ageing actively, and this year we want to broaden the scope of the games and re-energise the process??? We are hoping to add road tennis, basketball and netball,??? he promised.
Minister Sinckler noted that in increasing the number of events, that would be the lead-up to Barbados??? participating in the Senior Olympic Games in San Francisco later this year, he said he was counting on some support from the private sector.
According to him, the event has the full support of the Government and the necessary resources would be put at the disposal of the organising committee.
The Games will get under way on March 29, with a road race and the staging of the new events.
Games Coordinator, Rawle Clarke, disclosed that on the day of the Games athletes would only be allowed to participate in four events and not the customary seven.?? This decision, he said, was taken after consultation with the medical team.?? He also revealed that a number of persons living overseas had expressed interest in the Games.
Chairman of the National Senior Games Committee, Ruth Blackman, also pointed out that a whistle stop tour had been planned for March 14, when members of the Committee and other Ministry officials would be making stops at key locations, not only to encourage greater participation in the Games, but also to encompass a wider geographical spread of participants.????