A new regime has been developed and will be put in place from tomorrow, Wednesday, April 8, to ensure Barbadians, including the most vulnerable, have access to adequate food supplies during the 24-hour curfew.
Acting Prime Minister Santia Bradshaw made this disclosure today during an address to the nation, from Ilaro Court.
She said the new regime was based on extensive consultation among representatives of Cabinet, the Barbados Private Sector Association and the Barbados Chamber of Commerce and Industry, under her chairmanship and with input from Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley.
Ms. Bradshaw stated: “This new arrangement will run for the duration of the current curfew period, and will be strictly enforced to ensure that we do not compromise the protocols that have been put in place across the country to halt the spread of COVID-19. However, it will be subject to constant review, and if necessary, alteration, given the fluidity of the circumstances and the ongoing COVID-19 response.”
In outlining the new arrangements, the acting Prime Minister said:
- From 9:00 a.m. tomorrow, Wednesday, April 8, 2020, Barbadians in urgent need of groceries will be able to order them from supermarkets through a number of options. However, there will be no in-supermarket shopping. Supermarkets and shops will be open on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday during this week.
- Orders will be taken by the individual participating supermarkets via websites, telephone call-in, WhatsApp or email.
- Payment for these orders will be accepted through cash, debit or credit cards.
- All persons ordering groceries in this manner will have the option of collecting their groceries in person, through curbside vehicle pickup, or home delivery.
- Shoppers who choose to pick up their orders in person will be given specific collection times to reduce the risk of large gatherings that would contravene the requirement for physical distancing.
Ms. Bradshaw said persons placing orders should bear in mind that when Government took the decision to restrict shopping last week, many retailers already had a sizeable backlog of orders for delivery. As a result, she explained, this might slow down the pace of delivery of new orders until clearing of the backlog.Access-to-Food-Supplies-v_2a
In addition, she pointed out that a special regime had also been put in place to facilitate persons whose circumstances did not lend to telephone or online ordering. She noted that some supermarkets had made special provisions to accommodate those persons.
While explaining those provisions, Ms. Bradshaw said: “Effective tomorrow, Wednesday, April 8, persons may visit Chanell, Trimart, Popular, Savings Mart and Jordans to pay for and collect pre-packaged baskets prepared by the operators.
“Shoppers will be able to see a list of items in each basket ahead of placing and paying for their orders on site. These baskets will be in values of $25, $50, $100, and $150. The contents have been determined by the individual retailers, based on their examination of the shopping patterns of their customers.”
All shoppers when placing walk-up orders for the pre-packaged baskets, or collecting telephone or online orders will be required to observe physical distancing rules of a minimum of six feet behind the person in front of them.
The acting Prime Minister explained that with regard to agriculture, farmers would be facilitated through the BADMC for fresh fruit and vegetables; through the Barbados Egg and Poultry Producers Association for fresh eggs and poultry products; and through the Pig Farmers Association for fresh pork.
She added that there would be a process for ordering through dedicated landlines, mobile phones, emails and WhatsApp messaging.
She pointed out that curbside pickups would be in place at the BAS Grotto, BADMC Fairy Valley and Springhall, Chickmont, Star Chick and Amir car parks.
She said deliveries would be done for village shops, minimarts, and supermarkets as well as individuals for orders $30 and up.