Persons travelling abroad are reminded that if they are planning to bring in meat or any animal products into the island, they must first obtain an import permit from the Veterinary Services Department of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food, Fisheries and Water Resource Management.

Meat and meat products in their original commercial packaging may be brought from the United States of America, Puerto Rico, Canada and the United Kingdom.

Only commercially packaged cooked chicken and chicken products are allowed from the Caribbean.

Food products of animal origin include but are not limited to: fresh, frozen or chilled cuts of meat or poultry; cooked, smoked, cured, pickled, salted, dried or canned products, for example, sausages, hams, hamburger and other raw meat patties, hot dogs, haggis, blood sausages etc.; pastries containing meat fillings, for example, patties, meat rolls, rotis, pizzas etc.; dairy products including ice cream, yoghurt, cheeses and eggs and egg products.

These products must be in the original sealed commercial packaging and must not exceed 25lbs (11kg).

All individuals and places of entertainment planning to import items for the holiday season or for personal use such as headdresses, masks or decorations which contain feathers or other animal-derived products, are reminded that import permits are required for entry of these products into Barbados.

Non-food animal products include but are not limited to: game trophies of wild or domestic animals or birds; products made from feathers, skins, hair, antlers, horns, hooves or bones such as buttons, belts, costumes, chairs or drums; loose feathers such as those used for costumes and craft; hides, and wool; bones, bone meal, blood meal (as in fish food, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘, NULL, NULL, 0); meat scraps and treats for pets.

Applications for permits should be made at the Veterinary Services Department, The Pine, St. Michael, Mondays to Fridays (excluding public holidays), between 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Further details may be obtained by contacting the department at 427-5492, or 427-5073 or by visiting the Veterinary Services section of the Ministry of Agriculture’s website at

Pin It on Pinterest