Come Monday, June 15, the Monday to Thursday curfew hours, currently enforced on the island, will be discontinued. However, from Friday to Sunday, the new curfew hours will be from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m., for the next two weeks.
Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley made the announcement tonight during an address to the nation from Ilaro Court.
Noting that she was generally pleased with the way Barbadians conducted themselves during the last two weeks, the Prime Minister said the easing in the curfew restrictions was predicated on the respect for the regulations that had been previously announced in the [COVID-19 Order No.6] and the mature response of Barbadians.
“You acted wisely and you acted responsibly but as I said before, not only did I drive around and observe with my own two eyes, I also consulted generally with the police who reported the same. Of course, they were some exceptions to the rule, but I am not punishing the majority for the indifference and stupidity of a very, very few, I might add.”
Ms. Mottley cautioned that although Government had relaxed the restrictions, it was not prepared to let Barbadians “step out of line” and ignore any concerns that the Ministry of Health may have.
“The Ministry of Health is a very hard task master and I am not willing to allow us to step so far out of line that their concerns will be overtaken or fed by persons who may not want to play ball as we are asking them to do. We have done well in the last few months and I pray that we will continue to do well,” she underlined.
The Prime Minister said the adjustment to the curfew hours will be reviewed in the next two weeks.