Operators of places of public entertainment have been reminded that their licences will expire at the end of this month and should be renewed.

According to an official of the Value Added Tax (VAT) Division of the Customs and Excise Department, licences may be renewed upon production of a certificate from the Chief Fire Officer, and upon payment of the prescribed fee which ranges from $200 to $5,000.

He also noted that licensees, and proprietors and promoters of public entertainment, must be registered for VAT purposes regardless of the level of income generated.

Places that must have licences include: bingo halls, cinemas, concert halls, discos, public dancehalls, theatres, roller skating halls, arenas/grounds for vehicle racing and amusement parks.

Failure to license these businesses may result in the operators being prosecuted, and, on conviction, being fined $5,000 or imprisoned for two years, or both.

New applicants must apply to the Comptroller of Customs and Excise Department, through the VAT Division, on the approved form. A certificate of character from the Commissioner of Police and certificates from the Chief Town Planner and the Chief Fire Officer must also be included with each application.??

Persons requiring further information on the Public Entertainment Act should contact the VAT Office at 467-1100.??gapplewhaite@barbados.gov.bb

Pin It on Pinterest